Tuesday 20 September 2011

Tuesday 20th September

Never trust your husband with a pedicure blade! An odd opening sentence you may think, however today for some unknown reason Carl decided to use the blade on his GOOD leg. The result, blood throughout the apartment, Beatrice (our maid) panicking, Friday and Sarah (Princess Sarah our very multi-talented school receptionist, who treats me as if I was made of china) and Waheed , our driver, rushing to tell me to phone Mr Carl urgently. I wouldn't mind but he did this before in the UK.  Carl now really doesn't have a leg to stand on! and what is the proverb the fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from those of others... I have NEVER used the blade.

But back to Nigeria, today it rained. But that doesn't adequately describe what actually fell from the sky. The alarm went off at 6:00 but we were both awakened by the amazingly loud thunder and spectacular lightening at 5:30. So I go to get dressed, my body is saying," It is dark, it is the end of September , it is raining, put on the tweed suit, polo neck and boots"  but I put on a silk sleeveless dress, bare legs and open toed sandals. It felt so odd. But by 10:00 the steam was rising from the paths around school and I was putting the air conditioner onto high (or is it low?) The roads flooded rapidly and here in Ikoyi we have the best of all roads. the International school at Lekki had to close because the road was impassible.

And now to yet another Nigerian shopping disaster. Our neighbour Mohammed recommended a Lebanese supermarket, so tonight, after work I went there. He was right, the meat looked fantastic, so I decided to buy some. I wasn't too sure about some of the cuts but the butcher was very helpful (after he had explained that there was no pork as everything was Halal- duh how stupid am I!!) I asked if the meat was lamb, he looked a little confused so I said sheep. The legs looked a bit long and skinny, but this is not Wales. So I had a shoulder of lamb expertly boned and rolled and some big mutton spare ribs. OR SO I THOUGHT. I get it home and guess what I have bought? GOAT. so I now have goat shoulder and goat spare ribs. Hey Hoh some barbeque sauce will enhance it I am sure.









The Nigerian tailor came today with my dresses.  The Western style dress is wonderful, fitted and fully lined and I am so pleased with it (see Pic) He had 4 yards ( never metres) of fabric left over, and Sara and Friday said that Mr Carl will love to have a traditional shirt out of this. ( It is common to see whole families in the same material but different styles) So I asked him. "Mr Carl" in very strong terms said NO. My Traditional Nigerian costume needed altering (in all the right ways girls, in at the hips and out at the bust). He is also making me two silk dresses but I had to try and describe the colours I wanted as he doesn't carry sample of silk- after all enough for two dresses with lining cost £12.00.
He said I will have them Friday, but I have heard. that before. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment