Thursday 22 September 2011

Goat ribs

How could I have forgotten?. We had the barbeque goat's ribs (see Tuesday's post) and they were amazing. Go out and buy goat friends. I made a sauce out of soy, tomato puree, vinegar and sugar and some chilli spice and roasted them for quite a long time. Definitely a new favourite.

Yesterday we had fried plantains, eel and yam porridge in school ( we have a lady who brings in Nigerian food for the staff N200 a huge plate - about 75p) and I brought a plate home for the invalide and he loved it - I told Mercy (my personal steward in school) and she said it was so easy to make.

So today she, went to the market  to buy me all the ingredients for yam porridge. Really kind of her and she wrote the recipe out for me as well, but she bought 5 kg of yam!!! 5 massive plantains and a huge amount of dried crayfish paste (the smell defies  description I couldn't even talk about the whole black smoked eel!) The palm oil to fry it in is bright red (I thought it was tomato juice) and it has been decanted into an old sprite bottle - I am not asking where from. I shall let you know what my first Igbo ( pronounced eebo)  recipe turns out like.

Also tonight, a young Nigerian artist I met at the sale came to the house. He turned up with well over 100 oil, acrylic and water paintings as well as the tablecloth I had commissioned. He walked a long way to show us these and we bought two very nice water colours of the local area, but can you imagine someone coming to the house for such a small amount of money (£20.00).

Disaster has struck tonight!!! we had all our air conditioners serviced on Monday and today it has all packed up!!! the flat is like an oven, all the netted windows (mossies are very dangerous here)  are open but the temperature at 9:00pm is well over 30c and the humidity 85%.

Tomorrow we are going to a whist drive  (Can you imagine Carl going to one in the UK? - but you make your entertainment where you can here). I know there will be drink and good company and conversation. TV doesn't hold your interest in Lagos.- we read or now listen to our amazing internet radio, we may actually be living in the 1950's (except I read on my IPAD).

No comments:

Post a Comment