Saturday 10 September 2011

Saturday 10th

Carl managed to get out today- only sat in the car but at least it shows that although he is in pain he is getting better. It is amazingly hot and humid today over 33c and 90% humidity.

We have been here for three full weeks and I was thinking about how our attitudes and views are already starting to change.

  • I no longer argue about carrying my  school bag. I have my bags taken out of my hands in school. either by Sara my secretary or Wahid my driver whatever I say.
  • I expect to have my bags carried from a shop to my car by store staff.
  • I have stopped giving money to children tapping on the car window- is this a good thing? I'm not sure does it mean I am becoming hardened or wise?
  • I don't look twice at people balancing huge trays of food on their heads as they walk along the streets it seems routine.
  • Bartering is starting to become enjoyable (Carl has always enjoyed it I just give what people ask!) I bought tow pots today and Festus, who insisted on coming with me to make sure I was charged a good price , said I did well- praise indeed.
I am still pleasantly surprised at how interested and genuine people are. How they share your joy and sadness  and how they want to help. I cannot count how many people who we have only met very briefly, who have taken the time and effort to find out my phone number or email address to ask how Carl is and if they can do anything to help me. Wouldn't happen on such a scale at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment