Tuesday 4 October 2011

Nigeria weekend

Friday night we went to the GQ club- a bit colonial, but with an American twist. We paid for everything in dollars and drank margaritas and ate Tex Mex. It was a bit surreal but good fun and met some really nice folks- and I won the raffle - so nothing else really matters!!!
For those of you who know me well, I have been described as a little bit competitive!. I have started walking with an American friend Clay, he has a great circuit of 3.5 miles and it is all level and very pretty to walk.  He said after the first time we had walked, that we had shaved 30 seconds a mile off his best time. That was it it was like a red rag to a bull because the next night I had to set us a better target, make sure that we were warmed up and walking before we started the timer and really push on!
 Perhaps not the enjoyable walking Clay had foreseen but it was the timer that did it.!!! I know it is a not so nice side to my character but I am only competing against myself really!
 As we walked, there were flashes of red and I finally realised that they were bright red land crabs about the size of your hand diving into their burrows- if only we hadn't been walking against the timer I would have stopped to look at them...
On Saturday it rained, and rained and rained and rained- and then it decided to send some thunder and lightening.  But on Sunday- the day of the huge "School Invasion Concert" on my school field dawned amazingly hot and sunny. The concert had all the big names of the Nigerian music scene and it was a fabulous day. All the kids and parents enjoyed themselves, there was no trouble, no bad language and lots of fun, only one tragedy, the school rabbit has disappeared. I charitably hope that someone left the door to her run open, but Carl thinks one of the many many people who were attached to bands, security, lighting etc had her!

Monday was a holiday, but unfortunately we couldn't go anywhere because of old peg leg! it is becoming a real pain. I know if it was me I would have gone completely barmy by now but Carl is very stoic and puts up with the inconvenience much better than I ever could. The thought of being trapped in the apartment for weeks sends a shiver down my spine. I was once trapped in a traffic jam with our best friend Peter for three hours, he still shudders when he remembers how bored and pesky I got! I managed to strike up a conversation with a lorry driver stuck in the lane next to us and went to see his microwave and cab areas, 3 hours with nothing to do or read nearly finished me and Pete will never travel with me without an anti-boredom kit again.. I don't do patience and boredom.- Lucky I am in Nigeria because that is not something you experience here!. School is an amazing place , but quiet and peaceful? I don't think so.

Seriously though, we are compiling a list of all the places we will go- we had to cancel the camping to Omo to see the elephants, but there will be plenty of time to see the country when his leg finally heals. If it was up to all the Nigerian people we have met, and the amount of prayers that have been said for Carl, he would be running a marathon next week, but as we all know, we can't foresee what is in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment