Thursday 27 October 2011

Flight to Bonny Island

This week I flew down to Bonny Island in the Delta to visit another school we are in partnership with (during my half term might I add!!!) Bonny is a man made island created purely for the oil and gas industry and there is a small town outside the camp but you are not allowed outside the wire. Everyone lives within a clean, tidy, organised camp with wide safe road but nothing to do. It was a bit like Stepford, my deputy and myself were walking around and we saw no-one!!.
view of the delta
I was nearly flying it
But getting there was ...interesting!!. You have to take a very small twin otter plane, about 20 seats and you have to wear head phones at all times because of the noise.  They weigh your luggage at the airstrip, and then they weight you!!  I sat with my legs nearly in with the pilot- nothing separates you from him.  I was a bit nervous about going but found the views etc fantastic until we hit the bad the bad weather. ON the pilots weather dial you could see this mass of red approaching us and then it was like being on a roller coaster we were plummeting and rising and plummeting again and their was lightening all around the plane. We had to divert to Port Harcourt Military airport until the weather got better. Quite hairy!! And then on the way back, the airplane door opened in flight- but since the weather was once again bad we were only flying at 2000 feet and the co-pilot sat and held the door shut for the rest of the flight!!! OMG- can't wait until I fly to Port Harcourt on the 10th !!
Tina and myself - strain showing
Oh yes forgot to add no drinks on the flight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment