Saturday 1 October 2011

Nigeria Day

It was amazing!!! the singing and dancing of the children was really special. Carl came and enjoyed it (as much as he has ever enjoyed any school do- but I took his crutches so he was trapped). The food was truly special. So much and such a variety from Biltong to pounded yam from sugar doughnuts to snails in some sort of green sauce which I have to say was truly the nastiest thing I have ever tasted! BUT I tried it (and discreetly spat it straight out) The beef stew and the rice were to die for. But I was amazed at the kids they didn't go for the doughnuts and cakes they went for the Jollof rice (very spicy) beef, chicken and other meaty looking things floating in red spicy sauce.
We also had a professional dance group with drums and dancers who put on a show that you would have been very willing to pay a lot of money to see anywhere. The only down side was I was in my full Nigerian costume and got quite badly sunburnt on my back.
It was a fabulous day and yes I did cry when the children sang and  as always I was touched by the welcome and comments parents made. Later that afternoon, Carl and myself were talking to some parents and Governing Body members and we suddenly realised that we feel at home here.

Unfortunately I can't put any photos of the day on because my camera lead is in the sea freight and I  can't download them yet!!!
There are so many negatives that you can focus on about living in Nigeria, the violence is awful three horrendous robbing  incidents to staff in a week, but the positives are so many. If you wanted to you could be down all the time, OK shopping is a challenge but I don't waste any food now- not like at home, if a tomato looks like it is going a bit soft, it is cooked and frozen ready to make something So this week there has been no milk- but next week I'll buy 6 litres and freeze it!. Smoked haddock is N11,000 a kilo (£45.00 a kilo!!!!!) but beer is less than 50p a litre. You can't get caster sugar so I use raw cane sugar and my mint and lettuces are growing well.
It rained this morning, this is what I drove through
Tomorrow is the school concert, 300 children 8 food marquees, a marquee that hold 2500 and 2 massive Video Screens, we all have security passes, backstage passes and secure parking-the bank  is sending a full armoured van  to collect the money and we have innumerable guards to keep the concert goers safe- I'll let you know what it is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment