Tuesday 11 October 2011

The Gala Dinner Weekend

Well- he chickened out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wouldn't wear the hilarious outfit and thank goodness he didn't because he would have been so out of place - funny yes but out of place. He said, "I look too much like a pair of curtains and I can't pull myself together!" Nice to be reassured that his sense of humour isn't any better.
The weekend started really well - we had a fantastic dinner with Carl's old friend from Zimbabwe - drank too much champagne and ate loads of brai.
Early Saturday morning we were awakened at 3:00 am by what I thought was an explosion , the loudest clap of thunder I have ever heard all windows were shaking. The storm raged all around us until 7:00 am - I stood on the balcony watching sheet lightening that you could read a book by. Our balcony is  covered but the force of the rain completely flooded it and my poor lettuces were bashed flat. The hardy Welsh mint stood the test! (I'm  growing it for Mohitos not lamb / goat). A huge part of Ikoyi was under water by the morning.
We then watched the Welsh match live- fantastic we are in the semi final.  I have tried (unsuccessfully) all week not to crow over my many South African parents but the parody of the slogan "go bokker go" -Go home bokker- just  seems to slip out.
Then Saturday morning I was interviewed on the Richard and Judy of Nigeria- and it has been repeated so everyone (all our security guards, stewards and drivers) have seen it at least once and I can't face the comments about my very late Saturday night MNET interview and segue where after describing my school      ( and after many champagnes) I had to say, " and this is Susan Eriksson and you are watching MNET  53 live" This little bit is on all the time in between the non-stop music channels - why, oh why?
My dress turned out perfect. Very pink and sparkly- very glam and just right.  The party was wonderful. The entertainment especially Two Face (find him on i-tunes great music) was fantastic. We raised a huge amount of money for the school and  in the raffle, the first prize, a top of the range Nissan car worth about £40,000 and out of the reach of most ordinary Nigerians, was won by my school administrator Friday. It couldn't have gone to a more deserving man and all the parents joined in celebrating with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment